Saturday, March 1, 2008

Movies & Graffiti?
















I discovered
this stencil amongst the vastness of quality street art in Berlin recently and it cracked me up. It did however start me thinking about the use of movie images in graffiti artistry. Many are ripe for parody but some may also be used to express a statement on our society, culture or whatever. Some would just look great twenty feet high on a dull gray wall. Below Matt's s**t eating grin are two such works by Banksy.

A collection of these images might make quite an interesting photographic project and subsequent exhibition. Finding gems like these on our streets doesn't happen every day, so acquiring enough for any respectable body of work would be tricky indeed. Gonna do a bit of research and see what I can dig up, I'm sure cities like London, Tokyo, Berlin and New York with a vibrant graffiti and movie culture are homes to such treasures!


No comments: